Select Mills Miscellany

Here are some Mills stories and accounts over the years:

The Mills at Barford

The Rev. John Mills acquired the right to the living at Barford in Warwickshire and in 1745 was installed there as rector.  He had two sons, Francis and Charles, and by 1812 about two thirds of the lands in Barford was in their hands.  Francis succeeded his father as rector, holding this position for 56 years.  Charles became the MP for Warwick.

If the squire was also the parson he would be known as the “Squarson.”  This was true of the Rev. John and Francis Mills and was also true later of the Rev. Cecil Mills.  He lived in the Rectory, now the Glebe Hotel, and died there in 1902. As Squireson he had the special right to own a dovecote to provide much needed fresh meat in

The Mills Family and Congregational Singing in Wales

Henry Mills was a pioneer in Welsh congregational singing.  As a young man his voice attracted the attention of Thomas Charles of Bala when he was on a visit to Bethel, the Methodist chapel at Llanidloes.  On the recommendation of Charles the Monthly Meeting gave Mills charge of the singing of the Methodists in the district, although the novelty of the idea and Mills' youth and ability to play several instruments were obstacles in the eyes of elders of the severer sort.  However, he overcome their objections and did much to improve the congregational singing in the district. 

Henry's work was carried on by his son James, whose abilities as a
conductor found scope in the musical society founded at Bethel in 1834 with the objective of raising the standard of congregational singing.  They would meet on Sundays, plus a week-night class of instruction in the rudiments of music, that was attended by sixty to seventy young people.  Mills composed several anthems and hymn tunes, one of which, Hosannah, retained its place in later collections. 

James’s brother Richard was an active member of the Bethel Musical Society.   He was also a composer and took prizes for the hymn tunes that he wrote.  His collections in fact greatly influenced congregational singing in Wales and were seen at the time as landmarks in the story of its improvement.

The Mills Plantation in the Caribbean

The Mills family connection with the West Indies dated back to 1688 when Matthew Mills went into partnership with the planter William Woodley on St Kitts.  Matthew was murdered in a duel with a man named Barbott who was subsequently hanged for the crime.  By 1720 Matthew’s nephew Thomas had arrived in St Kitts and he started life there as a planter.

His letter books, which have been preserved, give an interesting picture of plantation life in the 18th century.  Much of Thomas’s time was spent overseeing the cultivation of sugar cane, and its processing once the harvest was underway.   The success of sugar cultivation was heavily dependent on the climate. The fickle nature of the weather was a constant worry for planters.  A long, dry spell could force an early harvest and a poor crop.

Because family connections were so important to mercantile success, there were many opportunities for family rivalry and feuds.  Nothing quite illustrates this as well as Thomas Mills’ manoeuvrings when he was ready to return to London in 1753.  Now aged about 48 he had to plan for the future and the obvious move was to join his cousin John in his business in London.

When he learned, however, that John had promised a partnership to his young nephew Matthew Gallwey, Thomas began scheming against the younger man.  He spread stories undermining his character and position and threatened to set himself up in London in competition against John.  The result was a vicious family feud and the withdrawal of the partnership offer.

Simon Mills and His Family in America

Family tradition has it that Simon and John Mills were youngsters on the John and Mary that set forth for Plymouth Rock in 1630.  John was said to have died in a storm at sea.  But Simon, aged 18, did reach his destination. 

There is no record for Simon Mills at the Plymouth colony.  In 1635 or so Simon moved his family to Windsor, Connecticut.  His son Simon was born there two years later.  According to the Windsor land records, Simon became a prominent landowner as the years passed.  However, in 1661, he was killed in an Indian raid on his house, along with two of his baby grandchildren.  He was about forty nine years of age at the time. 

In 1667 a section of land along the Farmington river was set aside by the Windsor officials for use by selected settlers.  The area comprised about 10 square miles and was very quickly taken up by forty settlers, including Simon the son.  The name of the resulting settlement was Simsbury.  Simon and his wife Mary were the first of four generations of Mills in Simsbury.

Mills Loyalist Petitions

Loyalists who left the American colonies after the Revolutionary War were honored by the British because of their loyalty to the King.  They were generally granted tracts of land in their new home in Canada. 

In 1794 John Mills filed a petition for land, stating:

“He was formerly an inhabitant of Sussex county, state of New Jersey, and by reason of his attachment to the King and Constitution of Great Britain lost nearly all what he was possessed of, and in the year 1780 or 1781 on that account was long imprisoned, indicted and sat in a pillory for a long time in an extreme cold season that it nearly cost him his life and for a long time rendered him incapable of supporting his family and obliged him to remain in the States in a miserable way."

His character as an honest, industrious man was attested and in 1796 he was recommended for 200 acres in Grimsby township near Niagara. 

Meanwhile, the following was the petition made by Jesse Mills for additional land in Cumberland county, Nova Scotia in 1814: 

“The petition of Jesse Mills, most humbly showeth:
that your petitioner is a native of the state of New York,
that he served his Majesty during the late American War,
that he was wounded and lost the use of his left hand in the service,
that at the conclusion of the war he was obliged to seek refuge in Nova Scotia,
that he settled in the county of Cumberland where he has ever since resided,
that he has a wife and a numerous family of children,
that under the administration of his late Excellency Sir John Wentworth your petitioner obtained an order of survey for one thousand acres of land as a compensation for his services and sufferings,
that five hundred acres only was located to him,
that upon his applying lately for a grant of it he was informed that no minutes could be found in the offices to authorize the giving of the grant of it.

Your petitioner therefore humbly prays that he may be allowed a grant of the said five hundred acres of land."


Thomas Mills, Revolutionary War Veteran

Thomas Mills may have been over a hundred years of age when he died and was buried in the Sandrun churchyard in Hebron, Kentucky on February 26, 1864.  The headstone shows that he was born on September 29, 1763 and that he had fought in the Revolutionary War.

He was in fact born in 1763 at the family home on Long Island.  He moved at a young age to South Carolina with his father and signed up for Marion’s Swamp Fox Soldiers during the Revolutionary War when he was just 12 or 13 years old.  He later travelled to Kentucky and Ohio where he was a scout and Indian fighter and met up with Daniel Boone.  He served in the Corn Stalk Militia between 1791 and 1799 and also fought in the War of 1812. 

He had time as well to marry twice and raise thirteen children.  He settled down, appropriately enough, in Boone county, Kentucky.

The Brief Life and Career of Peter Mills

Peter's father was a businessman in the silk trade in Dublin, his brother a doctor of medicine.  But Peter chose a naval career and in 1805 sailed to Australia under Captain Bligh of “Mutiny on the Bounty” fame.  He was for a while deputy surveyor in Tasmania.  There he married Jennifer Brabyn in the second wedding ever sanctioned in the colony. 

However, he soon fell badly into debt.  To escape his creditors, he went bush in 1814 and briefly led a bushranging gang.  Mills and his companions found little opportunity to “support themselves by rapine and violence” and soon tired of the discomforts of “woods and retired places.”  The promise of a pardon led him to surrender.  He was brought to trial at Launceston, but later released for lack of evidence.  He was then able to return to his family. 

Two years later Peter Mills set sail from Hobart on the Adamant and was never seen

Return to Top of Page
Return to Mills Main Page